Friday, October 7, 2011

Power of One

I had an interesting discussion this morning with a student that was returning after a suspension for fighting.  He was a bright boy with a lot of challenges.  He struggles to react appropriately to the world around him.  Other students push his buttons and he in turn pushes theirs.  For him it is easy to remain optimistic when you don't fully understand the connections between individual actions and consequences. Maybe naivety is sometimes bliss--at least until you start to get it. Later in the day, a student and a teacher pushed each others buttons. Both said and did things they wish they hadn't.  Live and learn.  Right?  I think that we are each just fighting to find a relevant place in our little worlds--our circles of influence.  We want to make a difference somewhere.  We long to hear someone say, "You made a difference in my life.".  We want to know that our efforts meant something.  I used to want to change the world.  The older I get, the more I realize that if I only touch the ones closest to me--the ones that I love and that love me--I will have indeed made a difference in my world.  At Landmark HS we each have the opportunity to touch a life every day.  Gandhi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world.".  Landmark is teaching me that it all starts with me. First, I need to love. First, I need to respect. First, I need to show compassion. First, I need to understand.  If I can change me, then I can change the world.

1 comment:

  1. We all struggle with change. Many say they don't mind change or even like it, but when it comes down to brass tacks, change is difficult and challenging. I like the point you make about "first". It's not that you need to change, just be the first to love, respect, show compassion and understand. When people observe your example, they internalize it and sometimes even emulate it later.

    ReplyDelete